Historic Churches

Providence Church

This church is known as “the church moved by the hand of God”.  Swan Quarter Methodists decided in 1876 they wanted a permanent church building but the landowner Samuel Sadler refused to give or sell the lot that the Swan Quarter Methodists wanted.  Another lot was found in the Swan Quarter village and the church members constructed a one-room frame building.  Three days after the new building had been dedicated (Sept. 16, 1876), a hurricane hit Swan Quarter and left the village under five feet of water.  The new church floated off its brick pilings and traveled north and east where it settled on the original property the church members wanted to buy.  The congregation ended up with the title to the land in 1881.

Bethlehem (Fairfield) Primitive Baptist Church

On March 2, 1798 Ezekiel Harris, James Hall, and Lemuel Cartwright,
of the religious profession called Quakers in Hyde County bought the land that the church sits on for 30 shillings.  It is not known when the Quaker Church was built, who the members were, or the names of those buried in the graveyard.  “The Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church was organized at the home of Mr. Daniel Murray on the first Lord’s Day in March 1808.”  This Quaker Church site became a member church and many families from Fairfield including the Cartwright, Harris, and Hall families were active in the different church affairs.

Amity United Methodist Church

What is interesting about this church is that it has a balcony where the slaves who attended church with their masters could worship.  Amity is a landmark in Hyde County being it is much larger than what you usually see in rural areas.  Amity Church is surrounded by a cemetery that has tombstones dated back as far as 1846.

Fairfield Methodist Church

This beautiful church serves as a centerpiece for Fairfield.  Built in 1877, this church lies within the Fairfield historic district boundaries.  Fairfield Methodist Church was featured in a book written by Laura A. W. Phillips called Legacy Of Faith. Tradition holds that when the bells are rung at the church, they can be heard across Mattamuskeet.